So....this summer has flown by and so did my first day as an "instructor" at PRCC. It feels like yesterday when I was talking to my father about my future. He told me to really think about this question before answering—what do I see myself doing in the future. I felt like a little kid because I answering him with tear-filled eyes saying "to be a community college teacher like Mama." I didn’t realize how bad I wanted to do that until the question left his mouth.
Now fast forwarding to August 11, 2008 I am accomplishing a goal I didn’t know I ever had. Reality hit me on August 11th at 6:15 in the morning that I was doing something a lot of people my age aren’t able to do and that is to teach at this level. My mentor teacher tells me everyday how "lucky" I am. I know it. But, it did not come easy. I really did bust my tail for this. I can tell you this though, it was worth every tear. It was worth every bit of stress, too. I now wake up every morning and think, "I love my job." Yes, I know I will have some bad days, but as Ben told me yesterday—“Every bad day teaching at a community college beats a good day teaching anywhere else."
After my first day was over, I called Mama to tell her about it and after telling her everything went well, she responded that she was worried that I may feel like I did about nursing. I never thought for one moment that I would hate this job. I write this blog not only to tell you how my first day went but to challenge you to experience this feeling. If you haven't felt it, it's worth finding and feeling. It's remarkable.
Yours,
Amy
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment